Midland ON Obituaries and Funeral Related News
Former funeral home director allegedly defrauded victims of nearly $400K - Toronto SunThursday, April 12, 2018
Police Sgt. Peter Leon says the investigation centred on the Watts Funeral Home, a now-shuttered family-run business that had three locations in the central Ontario communities of Wasaga Beach, Midland and Penetanguishene.Leon says one of the family members on the funeral director team allegedly took money that had been provided by clients who were pre-paying for their funeral arrangements in a bid to make life easier for their loved ones.It's very disturbing that there's individuals out there that are taking advantage of what is one of the most difficult things to do -- say goodbye to a loved oneOPP Sgt. Peter LeonHe says police began investigating the funeral home in 2013 and eventually uncovered 86 alleged victims who were defrauded of nearly $400,000.He says the Bereavement Authority of Ontario, the province’s regulatory body for funeral service providers, ultimately reimbursed those who lost money.Darrin Watts, 52, is facing six charges including two counts of fraud over $5,000, 2 counts of theft over $5,000, using forged documents and breach of trust. Leon says no other family members who help run the funeral home were believed to be involved in the alleged fraud.“It’s very disturbing that there’s individuals out there that are taking advantage of what is one of the most difficult things to do — say goodbye to a loved one,” Leon sa...
Former funeral home director accused of defrauding victims of nearly $400K - CTV NewsThursday, April 12, 2018
Police Sgt. Peter Leon says the investigation centred on the Watts Funeral Home, a now-shuttered family-run business that had three locations in the central Ontario communities of Wasaga Beach, Midland and Penetanguishene.
Leon says one of the family members on the funeral director team allegedly took money that had been provided by clients who were pre-paying for their funeral arrangements in a bid to make life easier for their loved ones.
He says police began investigating the funeral home in 2013 and eventually uncovered 86 alleged victims who were defrauded of nearly $400,000.
He says the Bereavement Authority of Ontario, the province's regulatory body for funeral service providers, ultimately reimbursed those who lost money.
Darrin Watts, 52, is facing six charges including two counts of fraud over $5,000, 2 counts of theft over $5,000, using forged documents and breach of trust. Leon says no other family members who help run the funeral home were believed to be involved in the alleged fraud.
"It's very disturbing that there's individuals out there that are taking advantage of what is one of the most difficult things to do -- say goodbye to a loved one," Leon said.
Carey Smith, Chief Executive Officer of the Bereavement Authority, said Darrin Watts owned funeral homes in Midland and Penetanguishene while his parents ran a third in Wasaga Beach. All three operated under the name Watts Funeral Home, he said.
Smith alleged that Darrin Watts gained access to a number of accounts set u...
Former funeral director accused of defrauding 86 people | CTV ... - CTV NewsThursday, April 12, 2018
Watts allegedly defrauded almost $400,000 from 86 victims. The OPP says the alleged frauds involved prepaid funerals.
Watts Funeral Home provided offered services in Midland Penetanguishene and Wasaga Beach.
The Bereavement Authority of Ontario has reimbursed the victims.
Watts will appear in court in May.Let's block ads! (Why?)...
Bernardo "Bernie" Fernandez - Richland SourceThursday, December 14, 2017
Chicago, and Brian Fernandez, of Akron; great-granddaughter, Becca; brothers, Tony (Hortencia) Fernandez and Reynaldo (Grace) Fernandez, both of El Paso, Texas, and Eddie (Feli) Fernandez, of Midland-Odessa, Texas; sisters, Naomi Brady and Elvia (Louis) Snivley, both of El Paso, Texas; brothers-in-law, William (Connie) Hunter and Robert (Bonnie) Hunter; many nieces, nephews and other relatives; and special friends, Robert and Patricia Bolk, of Virginia and Krista Schnerer, of Mansfield.In addition to his parents, he is preceded in death by his brothers, Francisco, Javier, and John Fernandez; his sister, Delia Muro; and a sister-in-law, Kathy Roberts.Family and friends may visit from 4 to 8 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 1, 2017 at the Ontario Home of Wappner Funeral Directors, 100 S. Lexington-Springmill Road. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated by Rev. Father Nelson Beaver at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 2, 2017 at St. Mary of the Snows Catholic Church, 1630 Ashland Road Mansfield, Ohio.Burial will take place at Mansfield Memorial Park with military honors. Memorial contributions can be made to the family in care of Wappner Funeral Directors.Words of comfort may be expressed at www.wappner.com.Let's block ads! (Why?)...
Iris M. Kendall - Ontario Argus ObserverThursday, December 14, 2017
Helen Adkins of Ontario; brother Hank Sherman of Portland; granddaughters Tara Granden and Rachel Porter.Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 9, 2017 at Zeyer Funeral Chapel, 83 N. Midland Blvd. Nampa. Burial will be held at the Melba Cemetery at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday.“See you in heaven, but don’t hurry.”Let's block ads! (Why?)...
'They lost their goalie': Don Mills Flyers pay tribute to murder victim Roy Pejcinovski in emotional return to the ice - Toronto StarThursday, April 12, 2018
Flyers and Marlboros. (Vince Talotta / Toronto Star)Pejcinovski was a promising prospect in next year’s Ontario Hockey League draft. “We remember him as a teammate and friend,” West said, urging the boys to “sit together, support each other, and keep playing the game.” And they did, but with a twist. The two teams tossed their sticks into pile at centre ice — with no discernible divide between Flyers and Marlboros. Players picked sticks at random, shuffling them like a deck of cards into two new teams.They then peeled their rival jerseys and put on new ones, black or white with a capital “R,” for Roy, in burgundy. The colour in the boys’ socks — orange and black for the Flye...
Brockville area joins in mourning - Brockville Recorder and TimesThursday, April 12, 2018
Humboldt later this week. https://t.co/DvpAsm2Ybw#HumboldtStrong#PutYourStickOut#XBRpic.twitter.com/h2EyHhQjrj
— City of Brockville (@BrockvilleON) April 9, 2018Organizations across Ontario were paying tribute to the victims of last week’s fatal bus crash.The bus carrying the junior hockey team to a playoff game collided with a semi truck in northeast Saskatchewan on Friday, killing 15 people and leaving 14 others injured.The fatalities included 10 young teammates, ranging in age from 15 to 21, and five team personnel. Like many people across the country, the Wilsons placed a hockey stick on their porch in what has become a universal tribute to the lost players.The book of condolences is the product of city staff’s collaboration with Brockville’s Irvine Funeral Home.The tragedy also hit close to home for Mike Galbraith, a funeral director at Irvine who helped coordinate the book of condolences.“As a hockey dad, as a parent, as a funeral director, I can appreciate the chaos that’s going on,” he said.“Sometimes, people need an outlet.”Signing a book of condolences is a small way of confronting the powerlessness one feels in the wake of such a tragedy, said Galbraith.“This one’s kind of near and dear to the heart,” he added.“If I had the means and the time, I would fly out there today on a plane and help them out.”The Brockville Braves plan on contributing one dollar from every ticket sold to Tuesday’s Game at the Memorial Centre to a crowdsourcing fund for the victims. Galbraith said another version of the book of condolences will be set up at the arena ahead of that game.“It will all be added to one and sent off at the end of the week,” he added.Some 30 people had signed the city hall book as of mid-afternoon Monday, as word of the tribute began slowly to spread.Some of the people signing came from out of town, including Prescott, Mallorytown, Delta and Kingston.All of the local signatures and messages will be conveyed to Humboldt city hall.Elsewhere locally, organizers of the Brockville Winter Classic Weekend used their Facebook account to post tributes to the Broncos and a link to the crowdsourcing page.Brockville Mayor David Henderson said the scope of the tragedy extends beyond the world of hockey.“I think it wa...
Appeal ends, nearly $6000 raised - Sault StarThursday, April 12, 2018
Hunter Chamberlain and their son, Bentley, died last Tuesday. Their SUV, northbound on Highway 69 near Parry Sound, crossed the centre line and collided with a transport. The SUV caught fire. Ontario Provincial Police have not released the names of the deceased pending identification by Ontario Centre of Forensic Sciences. Whitehead's best friend, Rebecca Chapman, launched a GoFundMe appeal (https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-jodey-whitehead) on Friday to help Victoria's mother, Jodey Whitehead, pay for funeral costs. Her goal was $2,000. That target was exceeded by more than 50 per cent within 24 hours with $3,186 donated by 66 contributors by 10 a.m Saturday. By Sunday afternoon, the tally grew to $5,980 from 136 donors. In an update, Chapman thanked donors and said the appeal was finished. “As per request by the family, I will be closing donations and taking the funds to them,” she said. “They decided that this is an overwhelming, but very appreciated amount of support, and that they would like me to close the fund as we have reached nearly $6,000.”Many donors offered their condolences about the trio's death. “My heart goes out to anyone impacted by this tragedy,” said Danielle Heatley. “I can't imagine the pain of losing a child and grandchild,” said MaryClaire Wood in a post. “I pray you find the strength to deal with this terrible loss.“Thanks to everyone for their generosity,” said Jonathan White...