Kenora ON Obituaries and Funeral Related News
Remembering Don Dutton through his photos - Toronto Star (blog)Friday, June 2, 2017
Star reporter and photographer Don Dutton was in Kenora when a bank robber blew himself up with six sticks of dynamite on May 10, 1973. The story landed on the front page the following day, and the photo would earn Dutton a National Newspaper Award for news photo.By Steve Russell/Toronto StarSat., May 20, 2017I've never met Don Dutton but I know him. I pass two of his photos every working day at One Yonge Street. When he passed away in March I read his obituary, I knew I had to look through his photos in the archives.The story behind the first one, a bank robbery in Kenora, Ontario is amazing. Former Toronto Star journalist Pat Brennan remembers, "He happened to be roaming Northern Ontario tasting the mood of its residents when he turned onto the main street in Kenora and found it blocked by police. A bank robbery was underway. The bank robber emerged from the bank wearing a dynamite vest and holding a gun on a hostage - a policeman. A police sharp shooter shot the robber as he was about to get into a pickup truck. The bomb went off...
Funeral services held for St. Catharines, Ont., boy allegedly killed by stepdad - News1130Friday, April 21, 2017
Nathan Dumas was rushed to hospital on Friday but died the next day.Police launched a manhunt for his stepfather, 43-year-old Justin Kuijer.He was arrested on Tuesday in Kenora, Ont., and appeared in court Thursday to face a first-degree murder charge in Nathan’s death. Kuijer is to appear in court again on April 19.A visitation was held for Nathan on Thursday and his funeral was held following a second visitation in Thorold, Ont., on Friday afternoon.Earlier this week, a makeshift memorial of flowers and stuffed animals was erected outside a St. Catharines sandwich shop owned by Nathan’s grandparents.Kuijer is also charged with attempted murder in connection with an attack on a female employee at a St. Catharines branch of the Royal Bank.Let's block ads! (Why?)...
Award-winning Star journalist Don Dutton remembered for his compassion - Toronto StarTuesday, April 4, 2017
Dutton won his first National Newspaper Award in 1973 for his photos of the aftermath of a bank robber being blown to bits by his own bomb in Kenora, Ont. Dutton, who happened to be in the northern Ontario town for a different story, was crouched behind the wheel of a police car when the deafening blast went off. “I huddled against the cruiser as debris rained down,” Dutton wrote in his NNA submission, describing how blood and bank notes descended on the scene.“Dust and thick blue smoke blocked my view. Behind me people were screaming and running away. I began taking photos as soon as I could see the outlines of buildings and parked cars but there was no one where the robber had been standing.”The following year, Dutton won another NNA, this time for his photo of an eight-year-old boy fighting back tears at the funeral for his father, one of two Moncton, N.B. policeman slain during a kidnapping investigation. “Those of us who were strictly photographers had a bit of an attitude that you couldn’t be both a good writer and a good photographer. But he was truly great at both,” Beaty said.A principled and generous journalist, Dutton brought those same attributes to his home life. Dutton was happily married for more than 66 years to his wife Gloria. He had three children, four grandchildren and one-great granddaughter. “As a father, I couldn’t have asked for any better,” said his son Dave, who followed his father’s footsteps to a career in journalism. “He was a rock. When I’d lose my bearings and look up for the north star, it would be him. Everybody in life goes through good things and bad things, and he was always there for you, no matter what.” Whether it was a few kind words of encouragement or drivi...
Funeral Friday for 7-year-old Nathan Dumas - CTV NewsTuesday, April 4, 2017
Nathan Dumas was rushed to hospital on Friday but died the next day.
Police launched a manhunt for his stepfather, 43-year-old Justin Kuijer.
He was arrested on Tuesday in Kenora, Ont., and appeared in court Thursday to face the allegation.
According to local media reports his case was put over until April 19.
Visitation was held for Dumas on Thursday and his funeral will be held today in Thorold.
Earlier this week, a makeshift memorial of flowers and stuffed animals was erected outside a St. Catharines sandwich shop owned by Nathan's grandparents.
Kuijer is also charged with attempted murder in connection with an attack on a female employee at a St. Catharines branch of the Royal Bank.Let's block ads! (Why?)...
Funeral for slain St. Catharines boy set for Friday - CBC.caTuesday, April 4, 2017
They allege Kuijer also stabbed an employee of a local RBC branch moments after the attack on Nathan, sending her to hospital.Kuijer was arrested Tuesday in Kenora, Ont., after a tip from the public, police said.Justin Kuijer, 43, is alleged to have attacked his stepson and fatally injured him. (Niagara Regional Police Service)Police had been searching for Kuijer since the weekend and there was a Canada-wide warrant for his arrest.He is expected to be charged with second-degree murder and attempted murder. An obituary for Nathan makes no mention of how he died, but focuses instead on his family's memories of him."Nathan was truly a kind, loving boy with a big heart, full of compassion for everyone and everything. He was always quick to help anyone who may have been in need," the obituary reads.'Polite young gentleman'"As the polite young gentleman he was, he never missed an opportunity to open a door, give a gift or come to the defence of a good friend. Nathan truly felt the joy of giving, never looking for anything in return. There are no words to express the unbearable heartbreak we feel in his loss."Nathan is survived by his mother and younger siblings, the obituary states, adding that his little brother looked up to him as a "best buddy" while his baby sister will be told growing up "what an amazing big brother she had."The obituary said he is also mourned by his grandparents, aunts and uncles, and Grade 2 classmates at Harriet Tubman Elementary School in St. Catharines.Visitations will take place on Thursday night and Friday afternoon at the Pleasantview Funeral Home in...
'They lost their goalie': Don Mills Flyers pay tribute to murder victim Roy Pejcinovski in emotional return to the ice - Toronto StarThursday, April 12, 2018
Flyers and Marlboros. (Vince Talotta / Toronto Star)Pejcinovski was a promising prospect in next year’s Ontario Hockey League draft. “We remember him as a teammate and friend,” West said, urging the boys to “sit together, support each other, and keep playing the game.” And they did, but with a twist. The two teams tossed their sticks into pile at centre ice — with no discernible divide between Flyers and Marlboros. Players picked sticks at random, shuffling them like a deck of cards into two new teams.They then peeled their rival jerseys and put on new ones, black or white with a capital “R,” for Roy, in burgundy. The colour in the boys’ socks — orange and black for the Flye...
Brockville area joins in mourning - Brockville Recorder and TimesThursday, April 12, 2018
Humboldt later this week. https://t.co/DvpAsm2Ybw#HumboldtStrong#PutYourStickOut#XBRpic.twitter.com/h2EyHhQjrj
— City of Brockville (@BrockvilleON) April 9, 2018Organizations across Ontario were paying tribute to the victims of last week’s fatal bus crash.The bus carrying the junior hockey team to a playoff game collided with a semi truck in northeast Saskatchewan on Friday, killing 15 people and leaving 14 others injured.The fatalities included 10 young teammates, ranging in age from 15 to 21, and five team personnel. Like many people across the country, the Wilsons placed a hockey stick on their porch in what has become a universal tribute to the lost players.The book of condolences is the product of city staff’s collaboration with Brockville’s Irvine Funeral Home.The tragedy also hit close to home for Mike Galbraith, a funeral director at Irvine who helped coordinate the book of condolences.“As a hockey dad, as a parent, as a funeral director, I can appreciate the chaos that’s going on,” he said.“Sometimes, people need an outlet.”Signing a book of condolences is a small way of confronting the powerlessness one feels in the wake of such a tragedy, said Galbraith.“This one’s kind of near and dear to the heart,” he added.“If I had the means and the time, I would fly out there today on a plane and help them out.”The Brockville Braves plan on contributing one dollar from every ticket sold to Tuesday’s Game at the Memorial Centre to a crowdsourcing fund for the victims. Galbraith said another version of the book of condolences will be set up at the arena ahead of that game.“It will all be added to one and sent off at the end of the week,” he added.Some 30 people had signed the city hall book as of mid-afternoon Monday, as word of the tribute began slowly to spread.Some of the people signing came from out of town, including Prescott, Mallorytown, Delta and Kingston.All of the local signatures and messages will be conveyed to Humboldt city hall.Elsewhere locally, organizers of the Brockville Winter Classic Weekend used their Facebook account to post tributes to the Broncos and a link to the crowdsourcing page.Brockville Mayor David Henderson said the scope of the tragedy extends beyond the world of hockey.“I think it wa...
Appeal ends, nearly $6000 raised - Sault StarThursday, April 12, 2018
Hunter Chamberlain and their son, Bentley, died last Tuesday. Their SUV, northbound on Highway 69 near Parry Sound, crossed the centre line and collided with a transport. The SUV caught fire. Ontario Provincial Police have not released the names of the deceased pending identification by Ontario Centre of Forensic Sciences. Whitehead's best friend, Rebecca Chapman, launched a GoFundMe appeal (https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-jodey-whitehead) on Friday to help Victoria's mother, Jodey Whitehead, pay for funeral costs. Her goal was $2,000. That target was exceeded by more than 50 per cent within 24 hours with $3,186 donated by 66 contributors by 10 a.m Saturday. By Sunday afternoon, the tally grew to $5,980 from 136 donors. In an update, Chapman thanked donors and said the appeal was finished. “As per request by the family, I will be closing donations and taking the funds to them,” she said. “They decided that this is an overwhelming, but very appreciated amount of support, and that they would like me to close the fund as we have reached nearly $6,000.”Many donors offered their condolences about the trio's death. “My heart goes out to anyone impacted by this tragedy,” said Danielle Heatley. “I can't imagine the pain of losing a child and grandchild,” said MaryClaire Wood in a post. “I pray you find the strength to deal with this terrible loss.“Thanks to everyone for their generosity,” said Jonathan White...