Drayton ON Obituaries and Funeral Related News
Marlborough Park murder suspect shot dead by police west of Edmonton - Calgary SunThursday, April 12, 2018
Evansburg around 5:15 p.m. Thursday, an attempt to stop the vehicle he was driving was unsuccessful, leading to a chase involving RCMP members from Evansburg, Stony Plain, Spruce Grove, Edson, and Drayton Valley.The man led police back and forth multiple times on Highway 16 between Evansburg and Entwistle, RCMP said.The driver managed to avoid multiple spike belts deployed by RCMP but police successfully deflated the fleeing vehicle’s tires near Nojack as it was travelling east.The vehicle rolled eastbound for a time before it came to a stop on Highway 16 near Highway 22.At that point gunfire was exchanged, killing the driver, police said. He was the lone occupant of the vehicle.Investigators were still at the scene Friday, although no further details of Thursday’s events have been released.The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, the province’s independent police watchdog that investigates police-related shootings and deaths, has also been called in to investigate.The El-Dib family expressed their appreciation to the Calgary Police Service and the community.“We just know that we’re going to be at peace and we’re going to move on from this,” Racha El-Dib said.A GoFundMe campaign created in Nadia’s name has raised $34,00o in two days, exceeding the $30,000 goal. The money is to be used to help cover the family’s funeral costs and other expenses.RRumbolt@postmedia.comOn Twitter: @RCRumboltCommentsShare your thoughtsLet's block ads! (Why?)...
Funeral service to be held for former editor of Sylvan Lake News - Sylvan Lake News Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Funeral service to be held for former editor of Sylvan Lake News - Sylvan Lake News Thursday, March 9, 2017
Funeral service to be held for former editor of Sylvan Lake News - Sylvan Lake News Tuesday, January 31, 2017
Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia as editor, publisher or general manager.
Steve had stints with the Canadian Community Newspapers Association in Toronto, with the Onoway Tribune, Drayton Valley Western Review, Spruce Grove Examiner, Stony Plain Reporter, Vermillion Standard, North Battleford News-Optimist, Agassiz Advance, Vegreville Observer and Sylvan Lake News.
In each community he...
Two infants killed in 1903 train wreck near Ponsonby - Wellington AdvertiserTuesday, January 24, 2017
There were other serious injuries. Charles, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Houston, had severe head lacerations and his mother suffered broken bones. Philip Farrelly of Drayton received some bad burns. Conductor Lilles and the mail clerk Andy Cheney had skull and chest injuries.
At the Fergus hospital, Dr. Groves declared the Houston boy dead on arrival from head injuries, and he feared that Cheney’s prospects were not good.
The railway crews worked quickly, and had the line reopened by late afternoon. In the process, they may have destroyed evidence that would point to the cause of the wreck. As word got out, hundreds of spectators from Elora and Guelph converged on the scene, despite the deplorable condition of the roads.
In Guelph, crown attorney Henry Peterson lost no time in calling a coroner’s inquest.
Public outrage against the Grand Trunk had grown in recent months. This was the 11th fatal accident on the Grand Trunk’s Ontario lines since Christmas 1902. James Argo of Fergus acted as the foreman of the jury, which included men from Guelph and the surrounding area.
The inquest convened at the Fergus hospital on March 23, 1903. Dr. Groves testified on the deaths of the two infants. Then passengers took the stand. Some said the train was travelling very fast. Others disputed this. Most agreed the track was very rough.
Engineer Heslewood denied that he had been trying to make up time, and stated “the track was no rougher than it had been for 30 years.” He did admit the roadbed could be soft in the spring.
All the railway witnesses agreed with Heslewood. The section gang responsible for the track claimed it was in good repair. Car maintenance employees assured the jury the rolling stock had been thoroughly and regularly checked.
Witnesses advanced several contradictory theories about the cause of the wreck, but no one had sufficient evidence to prove their hypothesis. Some blamed the track, others the passenger car.
Determined to get to the bottom of the matter, Peterson recessed the inquest and sent a request to chief engineer Joseph Hobson in Montreal to examine the track personally. He declined, but Peterson did get two independent opinions from other engineers, and they testified when the inquest reconvened on March 27.
After inspecting the track, both noted the rails had innumerable loose bolts and partially-driven spikes. Some ties had obvious signs of rot, and others had sunk below the rails, offering no support at all.
One engineer noted the track moved vertically at least a half inch when a train went over it. The other observed that the railway had replaced several hundred ties in the vicinity of the wreck in the days after the accident.
Both the engineers recommended the railway cut down a hill to the south of the scene, and raise the trackage over the creek by four feet to provide a more level line.
In the end though, it was still not possible to point to the track as the indisputable cause of the derailment. The jury agreed with the Grand Trunk lawyers when they brought in their verdict: “we can find no cause for the accident.”
The jury did recommend that a government inspector be appointed to visit the sites of train wrecks before the railway commenced cleanup operations.
Miraculously, no more deaths occurred among the injured.
Over half the passengers had walked away with only minor scrapes and bruises. Among the later was Lionel Clarke, a future Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, returning to attend to his business interests in Palmerston.
For one family the wreck compounded grief. Rev. W.T. Hallam was travelling to Fergus to conduct t...
Brockville area joins in mourning - Brockville Recorder and TimesThursday, April 12, 2018
Humboldt later this week. https://t.co/DvpAsm2Ybw#HumboldtStrong#PutYourStickOut#XBRpic.twitter.com/h2EyHhQjrj
— City of Brockville (@BrockvilleON) April 9, 2018Organizations across Ontario were paying tribute to the victims of last week’s fatal bus crash.The bus carrying the junior hockey team to a playoff game collided with a semi truck in northeast Saskatchewan on Friday, killing 15 people and leaving 14 others injured.The fatalities included 10 young teammates, ranging in age from 15 to 21, and five team personnel. Like many people across the country, the Wilsons placed a hockey stick on their porch in what has become a universal tribute to the lost players.The book of condolences is the product of city staff’s collaboration with Brockville’s Irvine Funeral Home.The tragedy also hit close to home for Mike Galbraith, a funeral director at Irvine who helped coordinate the book of condolences.“As a hockey dad, as a parent, as a funeral director, I can appreciate the chaos that’s going on,” he said.“Sometimes, people need an outlet.”Signing a book of condolences is a small way of confronting the powerlessness one feels in the wake of such a tragedy, said Galbraith.“This one’s kind of near and dear to the heart,” he added.“If I had the means and the time, I would fly out there today on a plane and help them out.”The Brockville Braves plan on contributing one dollar from every ticket sold to Tuesday’s Game at the Memorial Centre to a crowdsourcing fund for the victims. Galbraith said another version of the book of condolences will be set up at the arena ahead of that game.“It will all be added to one and sent off at the end of the week,” he added.Some 30 people had signed the city hall book as of mid-afternoon Monday, as word of the tribute began slowly to spread.Some of the people signing came from out of town, including Prescott, Mallorytown, Delta and Kingston.All of the local signatures and messages will be conveyed to Humboldt city hall.Elsewhere locally, organizers of the Brockville Winter Classic Weekend used their Facebook account to post tributes to the Broncos and a link to the crowdsourcing page.Brockville Mayor David Henderson said the scope of the tragedy extends beyond the world of hockey.“I think it wa...
'They lost their goalie': Don Mills Flyers pay tribute to murder victim Roy Pejcinovski in emotional return to the ice - Toronto StarThursday, April 12, 2018
Flyers and Marlboros. (Vince Talotta / Toronto Star)Pejcinovski was a promising prospect in next year’s Ontario Hockey League draft. “We remember him as a teammate and friend,” West said, urging the boys to “sit together, support each other, and keep playing the game.” And they did, but with a twist. The two teams tossed their sticks into pile at centre ice — with no discernible divide between Flyers and Marlboros. Players picked sticks at random, shuffling them like a deck of cards into two new teams.They then peeled their rival jerseys and put on new ones, black or white with a capital “R,” for Roy, in burgundy. The colour in the boys’ socks — orange and black for the Flye...
Appeal ends, nearly $6000 raised - Sault StarThursday, April 12, 2018
Hunter Chamberlain and their son, Bentley, died last Tuesday. Their SUV, northbound on Highway 69 near Parry Sound, crossed the centre line and collided with a transport. The SUV caught fire. Ontario Provincial Police have not released the names of the deceased pending identification by Ontario Centre of Forensic Sciences. Whitehead's best friend, Rebecca Chapman, launched a GoFundMe appeal (https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-jodey-whitehead) on Friday to help Victoria's mother, Jodey Whitehead, pay for funeral costs. Her goal was $2,000. That target was exceeded by more than 50 per cent within 24 hours with $3,186 donated by 66 contributors by 10 a.m Saturday. By Sunday afternoon, the tally grew to $5,980 from 136 donors. In an update, Chapman thanked donors and said the appeal was finished. “As per request by the family, I will be closing donations and taking the funds to them,” she said. “They decided that this is an overwhelming, but very appreciated amount of support, and that they would like me to close the fund as we have reached nearly $6,000.”Many donors offered their condolences about the trio's death. “My heart goes out to anyone impacted by this tragedy,” said Danielle Heatley. “I can't imagine the pain of losing a child and grandchild,” said MaryClaire Wood in a post. “I pray you find the strength to deal with this terrible loss.“Thanks to everyone for their generosity,” said Jonathan White...