Barrie ON Obituaries and Funeral Related News
Funeral details released for former Barrie mayor Ross Archer - Simcoe.comWednesday, March 27, 2019
Ross Archer, a loving husband and dedicated municipal leader, has died.
The former Barrie mayor, who served in that capacity for more than a decade, died peacefully Nov. 5. He was 92.
Archer was born in Barrie and joined the army in 1945. He owned R.A Archer Refrigeration and began his political career as an alderman in 1968. He was mayor from 1977 to 1988. During his time as mayor, he chaired the Barrie Public Utilities Commission, spearheading a merger with PowerStream through a time of change in Ontario's electricity sector.
He served the city in various capacities for 44 consecutive years, daughter Elaine Grandy said in a speech at city hall in 2016.
"If you asked most people how they would describe Dad, they would say he is a true gentleman," she said. "He always treated others with respect and dignity, and would listen carefully to their concerns, whatever they might be. He is honest, loyal, dependable and humble in everything he does. Dad loved Barrie. He is a deep th...
Dr. Barrie deVeber, founder of bioethics institute, dies at 90 - The Catholic RegisterWednesday, March 27, 2019
If it was up to Dr. Barrie deVeber, his name would not be on the institution dedicated to researching all aspects of human life.
Alas, there were others who thought otherwise, and in 1982 the deVeber Institute for Bioethics and Social Research was born and continues to thrive to this day.
"He always said I didn't vote for that," said Alex Schadenberg, executive director of the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition, but he was overruled by the board of what was then called the Human Life Research Institute.
"He wasn't seeking any spotlight," said Schadenberg.
Dr. deVeber, one of Canada's leading pro-life proponents, died Feb. 28 at the age of 90.
Dr. deVeber's hands were all over the pro-life movement in Canada. He founded Defense of the Unborn, the first official pro-life group in Canada, and was national president of Alliance for Life when it presented a pro-life petition to then Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau with more than one million signatures.
In addition to being founding president of the d...
Young cousins killed as snowmobiles fall through ice on Ontario lake - CTV NewsWednesday, March 27, 2019
Ryan Flanagan, CTVNews.ca with reports from CTV Barrie's Sean Grech and CTV Toronto's Tracy Tong</span>
Published Wednesday, March 6, 2019 8:35AM EST
Two young cousins are dead after snowmobiles they were riding plunged through ice into a central Ontario lake.
According to the OPP, officers were called to a section of Lake Muskoka near Gravenhurst, Ont., early Monday morning after hearing that three snowmobiles carrying five people had gone into the water.
"Three people did manage to escape the icy water," OPP Sgt. Jason Folz told CTV Barrie.
"Unfortunately the two young persons had to be rescued by emergency personnel, and were brought to an area hospital where they were pronounced dead."
The boys have been identified as 15-year-old Alexander Martin of Gravenhurst and 11-year-old Bracebridge, Ont., resident Mitchell Paris. They had been out snowmobiling with Martin's stepfather, uncle and younger brother.
Fire deaths could prompt new safety measures, upgraded building code: experts - Burnaby NowSaturday, March 02, 2019
Halifax Fire Deputy Chief Dave Meldrum has declined to speak about the nature of the fire, but he told reporters last week that "new homes are built with light-weight construction. Once fire barriers are penetrated, rapid fire spread is possible in new construction."
Ehab Zalok, a professor of structural fire safety engineering at Carleton University, said homes used to be built using solid wood.
He said most new homes are now built using engineered wood joists or trusses and steel structural sections and then covered by gypsum board or drywall as protection.
"If the gypsum board is gone, everything behind it is gone in no time," Zalok said, describing how quickly fires can spread in new homes. "We should go back to building with solid wood."
He added that codes and standards provide minimum fire protection requirements, and that dedicated developers and home owners should go beyond the minimums "knowing they are protecting their lives and properties."
Mike Holmes, one of Canada's leading contractors and a well-known television host, said Monday new homes should be built with fire-resistant products to slow down the spread of a fire.
Holmes said older homes were built with hardwoods and older lumber with tighter grains that are more resistant to "flame spread." He said the young wood used in new homes is more flammable.
"We can build with wood, we just need to treat it," he said. "We have products that can treat it, there is a pink spray, there is a blue spray, there are sprays that can help reduce the risk of a flash burn."
Holmes said building codes are a minimum standard, and that homeowners could demand higher standards, including fire-resistant products, from builders.
"We tend to not pay attention to things until there is a catastrophe," he said. "This should be a wake up call that we need to take things more seriously."
Holmes said without the use of more fire-resistant materials and products, sprinkler systems may be an option for some homeowners.
"I don't want to introduce more plumbing in a home that I'm trying to keep dry," he said.
"However, if we're not going to use ...
Obituary: “Doughnut King” Ron Joyce has died - TheSpec.comSaturday, March 02, 2019
The Joyce Family Foundation was created to provide access to education for children and youth facing significant financial need or other barriers to success. The foundation has donated more than $185 million since its start.
Joyce's generosity "has been felt across the country," said The Joseph Brant Hospital in Burlington, and its namesake foundation.
Joyce donated $7.5 million to support the hospital's redevelopment and expansion.
"We have lost a great Canadian and he will be missed," read the statement from hospital CEO Eric Vandewall and foundation president Anissa Hilborn.
In addition to the Order of Canada, Joyce's philanthropy earned him numerous awards, including the title of philanthropist of the year from the Burlington Community Foundation and a Canadian Red Cross NS Power of Humanity Award.
After selling Tim Hortons, Joyce moved on to establish the Fox Harb'r Resort in Wallace, Nova Scotia, in an effort to boost tourism and employment in the province.
Joyce, married twice, is survived by seven children, their spouses and his grandchildren.
The first Tim Hortons on Ottawa Street:
On May 17, 1964, a coffee shop called Tim Hortons officially opened on Ottawa Street in Hamilton. Hamilton Spectator file photo
It was the first Hortons in a chain that 50 years later would soar to more than 4,000 stores in North America. In the beginning, only coffee and doughnuts were sold, compared to the much wider menu of soups, sandwiches and other dishes offered today. The company says two Tim Hortons creations - apple fritters and Dutchies - were the most popular doughnuts in the 1960s, and remain among the most popular items on the menu today.
Clark Davey, 1928-2019: 'The true journalist of journalists' - Ottawa CitizenWednesday, March 27, 2019
He was heartbroken after failing his medical, but an English teacher told him that people would pay him to write. So he enrolled in the first journalism degree course taught at University of Western Ontario, graduating in 1948 and joining the newsroom of the Chatham Daily News.There, he worked under Richard "Dic" Doyle, but moved to Kirkland Lake when the Thomson newspaper chain made him editor-in-chief of the Northern Daily News. His time there was brief, however, as his girlfriend, Joyce Gordon, issued him an ultimatum: Northern Ontario or me. He chose her: they married in September 1952.In the meantime, he joined the newsroom of the Globe and Mail, where his mentor Doyle had been working for a year.As a reporter with the Globe, Davey covered national and international affairs, including the Suez Canal crisis, the St. Lawrence Seaway project and the cancellation of the Avro Arrow program. During the 1957 federal election campaign, he recognized that Tory leader John Diefenbaker was gaining momentum and might actually win, and convinced his editors to allow him to stay with the Chief's campaign for 40 days.
Clark Davey, former publisher of the Montreal Gazette, displaying a mock-up of the paper's new Sunday edition in 1988.
Bill Grimshaw /
The Canadian Press
When Doyle became editor of the Globe in 1963, he chose Davey as his managing editor, and, according to Mills, the two raised the broadsheet's reputation from that of a local paper to a national one. Davey was managing editor for 15 years before joining the Vancouver Sun in 1978. He was publisher there until 1983, when he took over at the Gazette. He was publisher of the Citizen from 1989 to 1993. He was also president and chair of The Canadian Press, and co-founder and president of the Michener Awards Foundation that oversees the country's most prestigious journalism prize."He was the true journalist of journalists," says Kim Kierans, journalism professor at University of King's College in Halifax and Michener Foundation board member. "He told me when I last saw him in November, ‘If we're not providing the encouragement for journalism organizations and journalists within them to do the journalism that matters, then we're in trouble as a democracy.'"He was also a lovely man, smart and sparkling … with incredible enthusiasm for the business and its future."According to Mills, Davey, who in 2002 led a protest on the steps of the Ottawa Citizen after Mills was fired for running an editorial critical of then-prime minister Jean Chrétien, was known as tough and gruff, "but deep down he was a really kind and thoughtful person, and a very good friend who was always fair to people. But if you didn't know him, he could be intimidating."And although he called the shots on the job, it was Joyce who ruled the home roost. According to son Ric, his father only stopped the presses twice - once while at the Globe, when Joyce called him to report that she and Ric thought they had just seen a UFO."That was the kind of pull she had over him," says Ric.Clark Davey is survived by his wife, Joyce; brother Kenneth George; children Ric (Rita Celli), Kevin (Margaret) and Clark Jr. (...
Cecile J. Briggs - WatertownDailyTimes.comWednesday, March 27, 2019
Phillips Memorial Home in Massena. There will be no funeral services and burial will be at a later date in Calvary Cemetery, Massena.Cecile was born on November 14, 1933 in Cornwall, Ontario, the daughter of Claude and Bertha (Belanger) Villeneuve. She married Joseph Maugeri Jr. on February 21, 1958. He predeceased her on April 19, 1972. She later married Ivan Briggs on June 20, 1975. He predeceased her in June 2001.She enjoyed playing bingo, traveling and spending time on social media.She is survived by her son Joseph Maugeri III and his wife Becky of Clayville, NY; three grandchildren, Joseph, Benjamin and Matthew Maugeri; a brother, Cyril and wife Sylvia Villeneuve and two sisters, Claudette Lefebvre and Bernadette Good as well as several nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by two sisters Bernice Sequin and Marie Claire Payette.Arrangements are under the direction of Phillips Memorial Home in Massena. Memories and online condolences may be share with the family at www.PhillipsMemorial.com.
Let's block ads! (Why?)...
BRIAN DAVID MUEHLMAN - Burlington County TimesWednesday, March 27, 2019
Brian enjoyed hunting and fishing. He was an avid whitetail deer hunter, traveling throughout United States and Canada hunting with his grandson, Kurt. Brian was a USCG Charter Captain on Lake Ontario for 15 years. His most cherished time was spent with his grandchildren. Survivors include his wife, Gail Krauss Muehlman; his mother and step father, Margaret (Rex) Smith of Wexford; daughter, Candi (Joe) Landles of Evans City; step daughter, Becky Flagler of Pittsburgh; siblings, Connie Federbusch, Laurie (Ron) Mahen, and Mark (Pam) Muehlman, all of Mercer; nine grandchildren, Kurt, Mariah, Rayna, Seth, Brandon, Riley, Connor, Liam, and Nico; and several nieces and nephews. Brian was preceded in death by his father, Paul Muehlman and his brother in law, Oscar Federbusch. Visiting hours will be held on Wednesday, March 20, 2019, from 2 to 8 p.m. at the MARSHALL FUNERAL HOME, 200 Fountain Ave., Ellwood City. Friends will also be received at the funeral home on Thursday from 10:30 a.m. until the time of the blessing service at 11:30 a.m. Rev. Father Mark Thomas will officiate. Interment will follow in Holy Redeemer Cemetery. Memorial contributions in Brian's memory may be made to the Steven King Foundation, 621 Street, Jetmore, KS 67854 or Victory Junction, 4500 Adams Way, Randalman, NC 27317. Online condolences may be sent to marshallsfh. com.
Let's block ads! (Why?)...