Truro NS Obituaries and Funeral Related News
Halifax man accused of killing off-duty police officer back behind bars - MetroNews CanadaThursday, March 09, 2017
He made a brief appearance in court Tuesday and will be back before a judge Wednesday to see if he will be allowed out again while awaiting trial later this year.Campbell had served as a Truro police constable for six years before she died.Campbell also served as a volunteer firefighter for 10 years in her hometown of Stellarton.Her family has said she held a variety of jobs in the community before deciding to train as a police officer, finding a job in Truro as soon as she graduated.During her funeral in Stellarton, more than one hundred police officers and firefighters lined the main street of her hometown as her coffin was carried to the Presbyterian church.Let's block ads! (Why?)...
Man accused of murdering off-duty Nova Scotia officer released on bail - MetroNews CanadaTuesday, December 27, 2016
The province's Public Prosecution Service confirmed Christopher Calvin Garnier was granted bail Tuesday in Nova Scotia Supreme Court.Garnier is facing a charge of second-degree murder in the death of Truro police officer Catherine Campbell.The 28-year-old Halifax resident was also charged with interfering with a dead body after Campbell's remains were found in September 2015 near the base of an overpass in Halifax.Campbell had served as a Truro police constable for six years before she died.Garnier's trial is scheduled to begin on Nov. 20, 2017.A publication ban remains in effect regarding all evidence discussed at the bail hearing, as well as a preliminary hearing that took place earlier this year.Campbell also served as a volunteer firefighter for 10 years in her hometown of Stellarton.Her family has said she held a variety of jobs in the community before deciding to train as a police officer, finding a job in Truro as soon as she graduated.During her funeral in Stellarton, more than a hundred police officers and firefighters lined the main street of her hometown as her coffin was carried to the Presbyterian church.Let's block ads! (Why?)...
Joan Elnora Mahovlic - Alberni Valley NewsWednesday, March 27, 2019
Calvin and Eugene and her half-brothers Whiley and Richard.
She is survived by loving husband Mike Mahovlic, daughters Pearl (Colin) Drolet and Jory Smith; son Larry (Stephanie) Morse, all from Nova Scotia; and sons Shawn Coffill, Nanoose Bay, B.C., and Mark Coffill, Port Alberni, B.C.; step-daughter Trish (Rick) McCrate, Coquitlam; step-son Jim (Lori) Mahovlic, Calgary, Alberta; step-daughter Meg (John) Belanger, Campbell River, B.C.; step-son Paul Mahovlic, New Westminster, B.C. and many grandchildren and great grandchildren. She is also survived by brother Gerald (Janet) Salsman, Coldbrook, N.S.; brother Ronald (Jeanette) Salsman, Port Alberni, B.C.; sister Madelyn Wiles, Morristown, N.S.; brother Leo (Adele) Salsman, Trail, B.C.; sister Marilyn (Allan) Teal, Trenton, Ontario; and sister Freda Salsman, Waterville, N.S. as well as numerous nieces and nephews.
The family would like to thank all the caring staff at Echo Village for everything, also to Pastor Platz for his spiritual support.
There will be a funeral service for Joan at Grace Lutheran Church, 4408 Redford Street, Port Alberni, B.C. on Monday, March 25, 2019, at 1:30 pm with a tea to follow.
Flowers are gratefully declined but if you wish to do so, donations to Grace Lutheran Church Memorial Fund would be greatly appreciated.
Let's block ads! (Why?)...
Police investigate Sydney funeral home for possible fraud - CBC.caWednesday, March 27, 2019
Cape Breton Regional Police are investigating a complaint of alleged fraud against S.W. Chant and Son Funeral Home in Sydney.The complaint came from Service Nova Scotia, which regulates the funeral industry in Nova Scotia.News of the police investigation comes just weeks after a suspicious fire at the funeral home, which is closed indefinitely.The department first launched an investigation into the home's financial records after a family complained about a funeral service in December of 2017.Officials found that the family had a contract with the funeral home for a prepaid service, but their money had not been placed in trust."There was a general concern that we had at the time which is why we decided to put a notice out to the public in the spring of 2018," said Rodger Gregg, registrar of cemetery and funeral services for Service Nova Scotia.'This is unusual for us to see'Service Nova Scotia suspended Chant's licence to sell prepaid funerals. And in the following months, 49 other people came forward with contracts amounting to about $170,000, said Gregg. The department worked with the funeral home to have that money re...
No applicants yet for public seats on Nova Scotia funeral board - Cape Breton PostWednesday, March 27, 2019
SYDNEY, N.S. -
Anyone upset over what's happening in the funeral industry in Nova Scotia now has an opportunity to pull up a chair and do something about it.
For the first time, the Nova Scotia Board of Registration of Embalmers and Funeral Directors is offering two board seats to public advocates not connected to the funeral industry, measures taken following a bizarre and emotional mix up at a Nova Scotia funeral home last year.
"That way the public can get involved in enforcement actions when they need to be taken by the board as we'd have the consumer advocate perspective as well," said Rodger Gregg, registrar of cemetery and funeral services in Nova Scotia.
However, Gregg said, his concern is that no one has applied for the positions and the positions start in June.
"Right now, we haven't received any applicants for these positions," he said.
"For us it's a great opportunity for there now to be consumer representation on the board to represent the consumer's interest."
The board previously consisted of just the registrar and five othe...